Grafton apartment fire caused by plumbing mishap

GRAFTON – A fire that damaged two townhouse apartments in Grafton on Wednesday, May 2, was likely caused by a plumbing mishap, according to Grafton Fire Chief Bill Rice.

A plumber working in one of the townhouse units at 110 W. Falls Road called the Grafton Fire Department at 1:43 p.m. to report that he accidentally started the fire when using a torch to make plumbing repairs.

Once on scene, Grafton firefighters found heavy smoke in two of the townhouse apartments and fire was showing from the roof. Firefighters were able to confine the fire to the two apartments and the attic area above the fire.

Nobody was seriously injured in the blaze. The plumber sustained minor injuries, but was not transported to the hospital. A resident in a neighboring unit was overcome by the heat, but was also not transported to the hospital.

All Ozaukee County fire departments responded to the scene, along with the Jackson and North Shore fire departments.

The two apartments were completely destroyed, but Rice said the rest of the 10-unit building is in good condition. Rice estimates the fire caused $300,000 in damage.

Rice said residents were allowed back in to get their valuables, but it was unclear if they were able to spend the night in the apartment. Red Cross was on the scene working with residents.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share:
Comments