University of Nebraska President Hank Bounds told faculty, students and staffers Tuesday that tuition won’t have to rise more than planned.
Bounds said the anticipated 3.2 percent increase for 2018-19, tentatively announced last year, will stay in place. NU system leaders had feared they would have to increase tuition more than that.
Bounds said state budget cuts to the NU system weren’t as severe as feared. They amounted to an $11 million midyear cut this year and a $6 million cut in 2018-19. So university budget cuts will continue, he said.
“We will have no choice but to move forward with some cuts,” Bounds wrote in the letter to the NU community.
“Even as we acknowledge the challenges before us, the chancellors and I share a great energy about where we’re headed as a university,” Bounds wrote. “We have real opportunities to work with our partners … to advance our shared goal to grow this state.”