Lincoln standoff ends with man’s apparent suicide

Lincoln police are investigating the apparent suicide of a 62-year-old man Saturday night during an armed standoff in the 4000 block of Gertie Avenue.

The man, whose name has not been released, was the only person in the house when officers entered shortly after 11 p.m. and found him wounded, said Lincoln Police Chief Chief Jeff Bliemeister. No gunshots were fired by Lincoln police.

Officers were called to the home at 5:42 p.m. for a domestic disturbance. A 61-year-old woman told officers that she had been assaulted and that threats had been made to others at the home by a man with a knife and a gun.

Officers made sure the residence had been evacuated and established a perimeter before starting negotiations with the suspect, who refused to come out of the home, said Bliemeister. The Police Department’s SWAT team was activated, and Nebraska Highway 2 from 48th Street to 33rd Street was closed along with a section of South 40th Street.

At 10:18 p.m. the sound of multiple gunshots being fired from inside the home were heard. The “final gunshot from inside the home” was heard at 11:01 p.m., Bliemeister said.

Members of the Lincoln Police Department SWAT forced entry into the home at 11:06 p.m. and the suspect was found in the basement with multiple gunshot wounds. Lifesaving measures were attempted by medical personal, and the suspect was taken to a hospital, where he died.

The roadways that were closed for almost four hours were reopened. There is no ongoing threat to the public’s safety, Bliemeister said.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share:
Comments