Crews rescue 6 people from fire at midtown duplex Saturday morning

Omaha firefighters rescued six people from a Saturday morning fire at a two-story midtown duplex.

Crews arrived at 534 S. 30th St. to find occupants trapped in the first- and second-floor apartments. Firefighters entered the first floor, rescuing two people, and used a ladder to access the second-floor balcony, rescuing four.

The fire, which started in the first-floor apartment’s living room, was quickly extinguished. All occupants were rescued and taken to the University of Nebraska Medical Center for evaluation or smoke inhalation. The Red Cross was alerted to help the occupants.

A dog and cat died as a result of the fire, and the Nebraska Humane Society was advised and responded to the scene.

The fire’s cause was determined to be burning candles that were left unattended.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share:
Comments