BEATRICE – The Secretary-Treasurer for a foundation established in honor of the late Wymore sisters Margaret and Martha Thomas said the past year was a milestone, with the foundation now having provided over $2 million in grants.
Mike Willett says the foundation, established in 2005, awarded over $378,000 the past year to recipients in Wymore, Blue Springs, Beatrice, Barneston, Adams and Pickrell. That brings the total amount of support over the years, to over $2.3 million.
The grants ranged from support for youth and family sports, to construction of a fire hall, to helping clean up dilapidated homes and buildings.
Foundation Vice-President Larry Andersen says the awards included over $81,000 to demolish dilapidated houses and buildings, in Wymore and Blue Springs.
Grants from the Margaret and Martha Thomas Foundation included:
- $32,667.00 to the City of Beatrice for equipment in the Thomas Heritage Room at the Beatrice Public Library
- $33,060.00 to the Southeast Nebraska YMCA Foundation for upgrades, improvements and the purchase of pool equipment relating to the swim teams that use the YMCA
- $25,942.00 to the Pickrell Rural Fire District to replace and install mobile radios
- $11,548.70 to the Adams Ball Association for replacement of playground equipment
- $75,000.00 to Freeman Public Schools for improvements to the elementary playground and construction of a new maintenance storage building
- $12,500.00 to Southern Public Schools for improvements to the high school to meet ADA and Fire code requirements
- $1,000.00 to the Beatrice Education Foundation Backpack Program in support of the Empty Bowls Event
- $50,000.00 to the Barneston Rural Fire District to assist with the cost of construction of a new fire hall
- $13,500.00 to the Lower Big Blue Natural Resources District to assist with the cost to construct a new picnic shelter at Big Indian Recreation Area
- $12,000.00 to Southern Youth Sports to replace youth football equipment and uniforms
- $30,000.00 to NET Foundation for Television, Inc. to support production of the Nebraska Stories television series
- $12,650.00 to One Property at a Time to be used for the acquisition and demolition of one property and for training and certification in asbestos removal and building inspection
- $30,000.00 to the City of Wymore to be used for cost of the demolition and removal of the Neumann Building
- $38,610.00 to the City of Blue Springs to be used for cost of the demolition and removal of 4 dilapidated trailer houses and 8 dilapidated houses