Tecumseh inmate died from overdose of meth and Ecstasy, death certificate says

Tecumseh inmate died from overdose of meth and Ecstasy, death certificate says
World-Herald News Service

LINCOLN — An overdose of illegal drugs caused last month’s death of a 22-year-old inmate at the Tecumseh State Prison.

A copy of an official death certificate obtained Wednesday by The World-Herald stated that Daelan LaMere of Omaha died of “combined amphetamine/Ecstasy (MDMA) overdose.”

The certificate also indicated that LaMere had suffered a heart attack when he died June 6 in the intensive care unit of a Lincoln hospital.

In addition, an autopsy was conducted, which determined the death was accidental, according to the certificate.

At the time of LaMere’s death, the Department of Correctional Services issued a press release stating that meth and Ecstasy had been detected in the inmate’s system and that an autopsy had been ordered.

The Nebraska State Patrol launched an investigation to determine how LaMere obtained the drugs in the maximum-security prison near Tecumseh.

Reached late Wednesday afternoon, Dawn-Renee Smith, spokeswoman for the Corrections Department, said she would check to see if there was updated information for public release.

Prison staff were called on May 27 to LaMere’s cell, where he was found unresponsive and struggling to breathe.

He was taken to the hospital in Tecumseh before being transferred to Lincoln, where he remained on life support without regaining consciousness before his death.

Because LaMere died in state custody, a grand jury investigation must be conducted.

He was sentenced in Douglas County to six to 11 years after pleading no contest to four counts of robbery at a convenience store and one count of use of a firearm to commit a felony.

His sentence began in 2013 and he would have been eligible for parole starting next year.

His mandatory release was scheduled for 2020, according to prison records.

LaMere was the fourth inmate from the Tecumseh prison to die this year.

Charges have not yet been filed in the deaths of the two inmates killed during a March 2 melee in which a housing unit was taken over by roughly 60 prisoners for more than three hours.

In April, a third inmate, who was close to being released, was found slain in his cell; his cellmate, who was serving a life term for first-degree murder, has been charged in connection with that death.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share:
Comments