Smoking Materials Blamed for Garage Fire

NORFOLK – A Friday morning fire did little to no damage, but city officials are using it as a reminder to be safe.

Norfolk Fire Captain Lannce Grothe says the Fire Division was sent to a home on the 1100 block of West Pasewalk Avenue just before 8 a.m. Friday.

Responders could see smoke coming from the eves of the garage and saw moderate smoke in the garage itself, but no flames.

Capt. Grothe says the fire was under control after about five minutes, doing minimal damage to the structure.

Grothe says improperly discarded smoking materials were to blame. He says residents should remember to always have an approved container to make sure cigarettes can be thrown away safely.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share:
Comments