Residents Allowed to Return Home After Gas Leak In Fairbury

FAIRBURY – Several Fairbury residents were evacuated of their homes following a Tuesday morning gas leak.  Judd Stewart, the incident commander with the Fairbury Fire Department says a construction crew accidentally caused the leak.

“There was a visible  cloud of gas out of the ground.  So we immediately started evacuations due to the fact the wind speeds were low.”

Fairbury Fire department, Fairbury Police, and the Jefferson County Sheriff’s office all responded immediately while Black Hills Energy traveled to the scene.

“Once the leak was stopped we were able to let people back into their houses.”

John McKee, Emergency Management Director for Jefferson and Saline Counties says safety comes first in these situations.

“The place wasn’t safe with the amount of gas coming out so we got people out for their safety. ”

 

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share:
Comments