House fire in Jansen early Wednesday results in ‘total loss’

JANSEN, NE – A house fire in Jansen early Wednesday morning resulted in a ‘total loss,’ according to the Fairbury Rural Fire Department.

Around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, crews were called to a home at 201 Church Street in Jansen. The fire, caused by a defective space heater, started in the attic and eventually spread to the main floors.

Crews were on the scene for about nine hours total to ensure the fire was completely out.

Earlier this winter, space heaters caused three house fires in less than a week in Fairbury.

“It’s not so much the space heaters that are causing the fires, but it’s the wiring,” Fairbury firefighter Chris Parker said, “and the they way they’re being used in the houses.”

This house at 201 Church Street in Jansen is considered a total loss after it caught fire early Wednesday morning.

 

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share:
Comments