UTICA, NE – Darcy White and Kari Jo Alfs, the head coaches for Exeter-Milligan and Bruning-Davenport/Shickley respectively, said it a number of times over the last couple of months.
Their teams could meet up to four times this fall before the season’s out.
The third meeting will take place on Tuesday.
No. 1 BDS (25-4) and No. 2 Exeter-Milligan (22-8) will meet in the Class D2-2 subdistrict final in Utica at Centennial High School on Tuesday night at 7.
Coverage begins at 6:45, and the entire game will be carried on Ol’ Red 99.5.
The Timberwolves earned their spot in the final by knocking off No. 3 Dorchester, 3-0 (25-19, 25-13, 25-7).
Senior and first-team all-state middle blocker Katherine White had a match-high 16 kills to lead Exeter-Milligan to victory. The Timberwolves have won nine of their last ten matches.
White’s partner-in-crime, fellow senior middle Kate Jansky, had a balanced effort with 10 kills, three aces and two blocks.
Jansky and White account for 83.4 percent of Exeter-Milligan’s kills this season. White has 360, while Jansky has 255.
Junior middle blocker/outside hitter Abigail Plouzek capped off a remarkable season, leading Dorchester (12-14) in defeat with 11 kills and a service ace.
Plouzek’s 343 kills are the third most of any player in Class D2.
BDS followed E-M with a quick, 3-0 sweep of No. 4 Osceola (25-12, 25-10, 25-11).
The Bulldogs (9-22) swept No. 5 Nebraska Lutheran 3-0 (25-16, 25-20, 25-16) on Monday afternoon.
The Eagles, who have now won 12 consecutive matches, were in control from the get-go. Senior outside hitter Jadyn Kleinschmidt paced BDS with a match-high 15 kills and five aces.
Junior middle blocker/setter Regan Alfs put up ten kills and a match-high four blocks. BDS finished with 11 blocks and nine aces as a team.
Senior outside hitter Kamryn Hahn led Osceola in her final high school game with nine kills and four blocks.
Exeter-Milligan will be seeking its first win over BDS this season. The Eagles beat the Timberwolves 2-0 (25-20, 25-19) in Shickley on Aug. 30, and again in the Crossroads Conference Tournament Championship 3-0 (27-25, 25-9, 25-9) on Oct. 16 in York.
Other area finals:
Class C1-1 @ Norris Middle School
- Falls City 3 Wilber-Clatonia 1
- Fairbury 3 Auburn 2
- The Jeffs rallied from a 2-1 deficit and won set five, 15-7. Fairbury will face Syracuse on Tuesday at 6 p.m. The Rockets swept Falls City.
Class C2-2 @ Auburn Middle School
- Freeman 3 Tri County 0
- Southern 3 Johnson County Central 1
- Freeman 3 Southern 0 (Subdistrict final)
Class C2-3 @ Adams Central
- Thayer Central 3 Fillmore Central 0
- Thayer Central vs. Superior, Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
- Superior knocked off Sutton 3-0 on Tuesday night.
Class D1-2 @ Southern High
- Johnson-Brock 3 Pawnee City 0
- Diller-Odell 3 Humboldt-Table Rock-Steinauer 0
- Johnson-Brock 3 Diller-Odell 0 (Subdistrict final)
- The Griffins battled, but dropped the final set 30-28.
Class D1-3 @ Geneva
- Deshler 3 Friend 0
- Heartland 3 Deshler 0
- Meridian 3 McCool Junction 0
- Meridian vs. Heartland, Tuesday at 7 p.m.
Class B-4 @ Norris Middle School Gym
- Norris (22-10) vs. Crete (3-28), 4:30 p.m. Tuesday
- Beatrice (16-11) vs. Seward (27-6), 6 p.m. Tuesday
- Winners of those two games face off at 7:30.
You can follow Tommy on Twitter @Tommy_NCN.