Beatrice Gas Plant Cleanup Aiming at June Completion

BEATRICE – A Texas-based company continues work to resolve contamination at the site where a coal gas plant once existed, along the Big Blue River in Beatrice.

Truckloads of contaminated soil have been removed from the site near 1st and Market.  Beatrice City Engineer James Burroughs says some drilling work has been going on at the site, where a cement mixture will be injected into the soil to solidify the site.

:17                  “twenty, a day”

Burroughs says the company has indicated that work at the site could be finished by early June.   Part of the project involves installation of a temporary structure called a coffer dam, allowing workers to work on the east bank of the Big Blue River.

:09                  “the inside”

This year, periodic rainfall has affected some work, but there’s been no flood threat on the Big Blue River.

Soil removed from the site has been used for cover material at the Beatrice Area Solid Waste Agency landfill.   A second nearby contamination site close to railroad tracks will be addressed in the future. 

A company called Entact is doing the remediation work under supervision of Black and Veatch, an engineering firm.   The clean-up plan was approved by the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality.

The city is paying 25% of the approximate $2.8 million cost, while Centel, which also formerly owned the property, is paying the other 75%.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share:
Comments