Auburn Man Escapes Injury In Wednesday Morning Fire

There was nothing to be done with just a pail of water

- Wredt

AUBURN – An Auburn man escaped injury with his two dogs Wednesday morning as fire broke out in his house.

The call was paged out at 8:40 a.m. with a report of flames coming out of window.

Tyler Wredt, a 19-year-old business management student at Peru State College, made the 911 call.

Wredt: “I started to smell smoke and, so I went out to the kitchen because I thought something might be burning out there on the stove. When I went to get my mom because I didn’t know if she had left or not there was smoke coming out of her door, from around the frame.

“I opened the door to make sure no one was in there. As soon as I saw there was flames I started to run out to the kitchen to get a pail of water, but, by the time I got back, there was nothing to be done with just a pail of water.

“I ran to the living room, grabbed the closet dog leash that I could and got our two  dogs out.”

Firefighters extinguished the fire in the bedroom and ventilated the house, where Wredt has lived with his parents since seventh grade.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.